Am I being too hard on my students? Or are they just lazy?

I am currently a first year high school English teacher. About two weeks ago I gave my students a free period to make a rough draft of an essay we were writing about their opinions on uniforms. It was assigned September 25. I made it a homework assignment. I checked it in the next day. During that class I worked with each student indvidually on how they could make their paper better. I told them it was due Oct. 3. I had it on the board. So no late papers were accepted(excluding a valid excused absence.) A handful of students decided they didn't want to do it . So I decided to call their homes and inform their parents and ask them was there something going on at home that the student could not complete their assignment. The next day the students were complaining to me about how I messed up their weekend. I couldn't believe this. Now, was I being too hard on my students or were they just being lazy? I think I was being perfectly acceptable.

• 8TH GRADE ESSAY! Is my persuasive essay good or bad? - I’m in 8th grade..Well, for school I’m supposed to write a persuasive essay. I did why students shouldn’t do homework. Here is mine. What do you think of it? And are there any BIG or SMALL changes I can make to make it really good? A great time to relax or do some extra curricular
  • Please help. what do you think of my college argumentative essay so far? - so if you have time please read my essay and evaluate it and corrected or tell me what i should do. I kind of trying to relate my essay to my life story and article from a reading should teens work. the link is below. thank you for all your time. [external link] .…high school
  • Could you correct mistakes in me essay? Many thanks? - Please can you review my essay about academic success Are there any mistakes’ Thanks?16. What are factors which are related to academic success in high-school students?Academic success is achievements in educational work. There are some of factors which play a decisive role in academic success . First of all, it is a willpower. Any person
  • Essay Ideas on Poem? HELP!? - I have to write an essay on the poem, Absence of Fear by JewelAny ideas on what i should add to it, etc? PLEASE HELP!Inside my skin there is this spaceIt twists and turnsIt bleeds and achesInside my heart there’s an empty roomIt’s waiting for lightningIt’s waiting for youAnd I am wantingAnd I am needing
  • How does my Freshman VP essay/speech sound? - Hello, my name is Marlena and I’m interested in running for Vice President of the Freshman class because I would like to get involved in the school and there is no better way to be involved than to have input on important issues facing out students. Because I have no prior experience in student
  • Are there any essay contests going on right now? - I’m a high school student and I am interested in writing. Are there any writing contests going on right now excluding poetry? Thank you. It’d help if you gave a link too. User tags:Am I too hrd on my student teacher?
  • How difficult is it to transfer into Jones college prep high school? - This question is aimed more toward Chicagoans and former students of Jones College Prep, but I would appreciate anyone’s answers and ideas.I am currently an 8th grader, and will be attending a noble high school. However, I am planning to apply to Jones College Prep for my sophomore year, considering that they do not accept

User tags:

• Am I too hrd on my student teacher?

8 Answers to “Am I being too hard on my students? Or are they just lazy?”

1. suutala says:

Look at this way, from now on they’ll understand that you’re the boss.

2. enviousness says:

well, I think that u should have talked to your students first. Calling their parents, just made u shrink in their eyes, thus naming u “the teacher that cannot control her students”. A teacher should know how to win her students on her side, how to convince them of various things. If u are distant to them, they will hate u. Try to talk to them, with each one of them. get to know them, their needs and aspirations.

3. assisting says:

As a teacher you have done well. You did not seem to be too hard on your students. The fact is that they have not thought that you will go to the end and even that of calling up their parents. From an educator’s perspective, it is good to know that you walked that extra mile to reach out to your students. Don’t stop just with their complaints, Take this opportunity to begin a dialogue with them. They will open up and you will certainly be able to lead them to greater commitment.

4. aile says:

I think you did the right thing. The problem is more likely because the PARENTS are not demanding enough to get the kids to do their best. I find that now that I am putting more demands on my 7 year old, he pushes harder to do better. He passed a spelling test after failing ALL the tests so far this year. I simply have him redo his homework if he screws up, from the start. Now he knows he has to do his best or do it all over. Its made a huge difference.And he doesn’t hate me for it. lol

5. tetrameral says:

No, of course you aren’t being to hard on them. I think you did exactly the right thing! Just remember this: always use the judgment you had BEFORE they start whining or complaining about something like this. Remember your reasoning then, and why you made the decision, and stick to it. They are always going to whine and complain about things you do; they’re kids. Their whining doesn’t mean you did something wrong. You didn’ t mess up their weekend, they did!

6. messmen says:

No…you did the right thing…by involving the parents you ensured that they’ll actually get the work done…so good job

7. salinity says:

ABSLUTELY NOT! You definitely did the right thing. Students need to learn about deadlines. When they get to college, they will not get a “grace period”, or anything like that. Too often, students have their hands held throughout high school, and then they are not ready for college.Secondly, I applaud you for contacting their parents. So many teachers are scared to talk to parents. You need them on your side. Don’t worry about the fact that the kids are mad at you for ruining their weekend. You will have to do things the kids don’t like sometimes.Now, the true test is how they do the next time something like this comes up. If they get their stuff in on time, then they need to be verbally commended, and congratulated on their improving. This will help let them know that you are not out to get them, but to help.Good luck, and keep up the good work.

8. iiiisss says:

you do the right things. If they still complained about how you mess up their weekend then you just ask them to go for a course that teach them how to manage their time effectively or you can share you experience as being a student last time.