How do you get rid of writer’s block?

My persuasive writer's block specifically is:-Making up a smooth, a bit indirect transition-a solid wrap-up....I don't understand why I'm having transition/wrap-up writer's block these days. I told my English teacher and she says that's partially because of perfectionism. So the next 5 days, I look at the essay and try to find good transitions/wrap-ups, but I still can't find anything! How do you get rid of this block?

• Where does Polyethylene, PVC or PVDC come from? - Hey, I’m doing a science essay thingie and I need to know where raw materials of my item are from.I’m doing Glad Plastic Wrap and I need to know where polyethylene, PVC, or PVDC come from geographically? The requirement from my teacher is “The geographic source(s) of your product’s raw materials is clear.”yeah.I know they’re
  • Writers block!? - I love writing stories, and love reading stories, especially short ones. Lately though, my creative writing has got worse and worse and I eventually stopped. I think the reasons why I stopped was because: – my teacher’s comment that I should start doing factual essays in my exam instead of narratives – she said I’m
  • I need a closing sentence for my autobiography essay? - just something general to wrap up an essay I had to write about myself for English. It wasn’t chronological but the last paragraph was about plans for future…if that helps at all
  • Whats a good hook for a essay about fahrenheit 451? - im writing an essay on the themes… so i dont know how to begin… i need a good hook….and maybe find out what clincher and transition are…help anyone please! :S
  • What happened in 1921 that did away with Jim Crow Laws? - My history teacher is making us find a counterargument for our essay. He gave us a hint saying that something happened in 1921 that did away with the Jim Crow Laws (maybe partially or in one state, anything is good). History buffs I need help!
  • Can you help me with “A Modest Proposal” by Jonathan Swift? - I need these questions answered, please.1. Persuasive writing is designed to convince the reader to agree with the writer’s position on an issue. What is the issue in “A Modest Proposal”? What is the writer’s position on the issue? 2. In persuasive writing, the author must support any position with evidence, and this evidence must be presented
  • I have a narrative essay on who am i please help? - my teacher gave me topics that i am to write in narrative for the questions are1.what turns you off2. what will you tell tiger woods3. if you can change something about your self what and why4.what was the last thing you lost that caused you great heartache5. find a person and five things you like

11 Answers to “How do you get rid of writer’s block?”

1. jugulary says:

Give yourself a day off and go out into the world.Walk in the park or along the beach, drink in the sites. Have lunch at a nice restaurant, sit outside and people watch. Take notes.Get your hair done or have a massage. Basically, you need to get out of the writers environment for a day, relax and soak up the world.But don’t do it for more than a day, as this can also be a trap.Good luck.

2. ellasar says:

get another Job dealing with the public, this works every time!

3. myoparalysis says:

I noticed that whenever I’m really enjoying a piece I’m writing, when I near the end, I’m afraid to let go of it it for much the same reason you stated. The rest of the story has been great, but what if I can’t end it as well as it’s gone all along. The easiest way to get through it is to just sit down and let it go. Set aside your expectations for it, and just let it pour out. Start writing whatever comes to mind. Fine tune it after you actually finish it.

4. unapprisedly says:

Come up with a good idea of what to write about.That always does it for me… every time

5. rapier says:

it s simple in most cases but i thimk of it like this stories need to have their rought edges i forgot where i heard this but there is no greater bore then perfection if anyhting you have polished your story too much go back over it hope this helps

6. priroda says:

I used to do this exercise where I would start writing about ANYTHING and not allow myself to stop even if I go blank (I just start writing random words). Then eventually after a few minutes, I would be led into a different direction and an idea would pop up. It helps because you’re trying to make a connection with something. Do this for a while and you never know, you might suddenly start writing something good.

7. emblematically says:

Throw the block out the window or in garbage can and get a new one that’ll work the next time.

8. angiospermal says:

freee writing clearing your mind and juts writing a whole bunch of i deas down

9. fullfaces says:

If lack of focus is your problem, try writing in a different environment. Instead of the couch or kitchen table, try a spot in the woods, along a lake or even planted on a public bench. Sometimes all it takes is getting all of your senses involved.If lack of ideas are your problem… read! Sometimes you find a fork in a novel that the author didn’t take and you never know where it might lead.

10. sheolic says:

Do you have any other projects that you’re working on? Whenever I get stuck in the middle of a long writing project, I find that just getting my juices flowing with a short story or some poetry on completely different subjects really helps. It lets my mind take a break and find a fresh perspective.My other big help is to go outside and do something active! Take a walk, rollerblade, go to the gym, go swimming– just get out of the house and away from the words that are driving me crazy. Getting the blood pumping is really important for your mind and your concentration.If you haven’t read them yet, check out these books for help in your writing:1) “On Writing Well” by William Zinsser– This is an excellent reference for any kind of writing. It will make your emails, essays, stories, and other writing clearer. I recommend this to everyone who wants to improve their writing skills.2) “Bird By Bird: Some Instructions on Writing and Life” by Anne Lamott– This is slightly more geared towards fiction writing, but can be helpful when you are attacking ANY large project in your life. Definitely a must for creative writers, students, or people who are looking for an entertaining book on writing.3) “Writing Down the Bones” by Natalie Goldberg. This definitely targets creative writing, and focuses on the practice of writing. I write a lot of poetry and am working on a novel, and this is incredibly motivational to me. Practicing your writing every day will help teach you how to put those ideas together.All three of these really help me get rid of that perfectionism– the point of Bird by Bird and Writing Down the Bones is specifically to help you let go of the need to write something perfect. Try “Bird by Bird” first (your local public library should have it). It sounds like just what you need.

11. anticytotoxin says:

Try writing 5 transitions and 5 wrap-ups, and if one of them isn’t the right one then the best one should follow, that’s what I do. Good luck, try not to focus on it.