Are the words mom and dad supposed to be capitalized in an essay?

I don't really remember from school when I was little but when writing an essay and talking about your mother and father are you supposed to capitalize it?

• Essay Contest and i need to know if this is considered plagiarism !? - our paper is about Paul Revere and i don’t know if this is plagiarism( you have to act like your paul revere and share his/your memories)Example.(actual text)Paul Revere was born on January 1, 1735, in Boston, Massachusetts. He was the son of Apollos De Revoire, a French Huguenot (member of the Protestant faith) who
  • In an essay do I have to capitalize subjects I took in high school such as AP physics,? - AP chemistry and AP biology? I am sorta confused on what to capitalize and what not to capitalize. Thanks. User tags:in an essay do you capitalize mom
  • English Essay Help? - Hello everyone,I am to write an essay for English on people who lie and deceived during World War II. It was to be 6-8 pages long but was reduced to 4, so I’ve started with a rather long introduction. I’d really like some constructive criticism or tips on my writing. It is going to be
  • Which saint was killed for converting to Catholicism? - I’m doing an essay and I want to make my thesis around Catholicism faith. I can’t remember the girl’s name who became a saint because she became a Catholic behind her father’s back. Then the father found out and killed her. Does that ring a bell to anyone? User tags:in an essay do you capitalize mom
  • How can i make this essay more funny? - I blanked out a lot of stuff because its private info and i don’t want it on the web. i tried to make it funny, but there was only so much i could do. “___________Period 8______________Partner Speech______: ______ GIRL_______________ was born on ____________ in ___________. She’s not entirely sure why her parents named her
  • My College essay? Could you read it and give me some opinions? - Hello! I need some opinions on my college essay? Could you guys help me out? The college that I am applying for doesn’t require an essay, but I want to submit one. I’ll post the topic and the essay! Tell me what you think, OK? Thanks so much!TOPIC: Indicate a person who has had a
  • Please help me with the grammar (essay)? - My Mother Tongue: TamilBy Sasha NassaruddinMy life as an Indian-Muslim was not a big challenge, to come across when it compared to the other race and religion. Born in Klang, to Penang descent father and Perakian mother. Both Indian- Muslim either. I was born with three more other siblings and I’m the only daughter. Early education was

User tags:

• in an essay do you capitalize mom

7 Answers to “Are the words mom and dad supposed to be capitalized in an essay?”

1. upraises says:

if its your own mom and it is a title call her Mom if you are talking about a mom its just mom same with dad

2. postmod says:

Only when they are being used as a suubstitute for their names. Example:1. I asked Mom what I should do about my homework. (Capitalized.)2. I asked my mom what I should do. (Not capitalized. Note the use of “my” before mom. That’s how you know not to capitalize.)

3. analyzes says:

If you mean “mom” to refer specifically to your own mother, in place of her name, then yes. “Mom said, …” or “I told Mom…”. But if it’s a less direct reference, then no: “I told my mom…” or “Her mom said…”Although if you’re writing an essay, you might avoid the words “mom” and “dad”, which seem a bit informal and not very academic. In that case, it would just be “my mother,” “my father”, etc.

4. JEANENE says:

Just capitalize them if they’re in the beginning of the sentence. You don’t have to capitalize them throughout. Ex. Mom and Dad went to the store. My dad didn’t have a good time.

5. lqmagic says:

If you say “My mother” or “My mom” it’s a small m, but if you are using Mom as a name, you capitalize it. “You know Mom is coming home soon” — Mom is used as a name. But, “Your mom looks young for her age” — mom is no used as her name.

6. unpuritan says:

One only capitalizes those two words if they are being used as substitutes for proper names or are part of proper names. For example, in the sentence: “I told Mom and Dad about my adventures during the first few weeks of my stay in the college dorm,” Mom and Dad actually have taken the place of the proper names of two individuals, who might just as well be named Betty and Fred or any other duo of names. However, if one said: “I related the story to my mom and dad,” those two words have now become common nouns and no capitalization is needed. So, it doesn’t make any difference whether the words are used in an essay or any other type of written piece. The manner in which they are used determines when they are capitalized or not.

7. naranai says:

Yes if you are using it as their name. ie, My Mom and I went to the store. My Dad and Mom were talking about divorce. when not to would be, is that your mom over there?