my teacher asks us to write a "thesis statement" for an essays we have to write. Here it goes....tell me all the mistakes i make please!In the novel ''The Great Gatsby", by F. Fitzgerald and in the play, "Othello" by William Shakespeare both Othello and Gastby are selfish because their egos brought nothing but deaths and broken hearts. it forces them to think that nothing will come between their love and happiness.

• Romeo & Juliet Essay? - Romeo & Juliet Essay?Hi, So I have an essay due for my year 11 assignment, the topic being:”Shakespeare was not of an age, but for all time…” I know where I am going with it, and am planning on talking about how in this age, societies expectations and values on love are based upon Shakespeare’s
  • Help with coming up with Othello essay topics and thesis? - Alright so i have to make a essay on certain topics but I cant make a thesis statement and I don’t even know why. Like I also need help with coming up with points in my subtopics to prove them.so the topics are:1. Discuss the role of that discrimination (racial, gender, cultural, etc.) plays in
  • HELP with OTHELLO Essay? - what do you think about this introduction for an essay about the role of race in Shakespeare’s Othello? please say any comments you have. ThanksRole & Impact of Race in Othello In Shakespeare’s play; Othello, The Moor of Venice the main character is Othello, a coloured man. Because of his race, the play is much different
  • Need feedback on this thesis statement? - Alright, so for an essay, I have to write a thesis statement on the symbolism/role of cars in the novel The Great Gatsby.What do you think of my thesis statement (below)?In The Great Gatsby, automobiles are symbols of death or destruction. Whenever a car is mentioned, it is usually to foreshadow a horrible event that
  • Othello thesis statement? - I’m currently working on an essay about Othello. My thesis is: Racism was prevailing in Shakespeare’s time but it is not an important factor of Othello’s character.I’m not really sure about this at all, my professor said I need to tighten it but I’m not really sure how. Any help would be appreciated.
  • Is this a ok essay in a teachers point of view? - Romeo and Juliet was written by a very esteemed playwright William Shakespeare in 1595. This was written for a group of actors to perform with a pattern of iambic pentameter. This has always been praised from the time it was written to now as one of the greatest romantic tragedies. And its writer William Shakespeare
  • Why did Iago wish to ruin Othello? - I’m doing a history essay that involves minor commentary on Shakespeare’s Othello but I don’t have time to read and study the play in any great depth. I just wondered if someone may be able to tell me why he plots Othello’s downfall.

7 Answers to “Does this make sense? is it ok? a thesis statement for an essay in my english class?”

1. cappella says:

Don’t know much about the novel nor the play but….In the novel “The Great Gatsby”, by F. Fitzgerald and the play “Othello”, by William Shakespeare, The characters of Othello and Gastby share very common characterstics.

2. ARLINE says:

In the second sentence what do you mean by “it.” Probably want to say “egos” there instead.

3. scrowle says:

Underline the titles of novels and plays. We use quotation marks for the titles of short stories and songs.Did your teacher specify that the thesis must be a single statement? You have two sentences.I don’t know what you mean by “it,” but I’m assuming you mean “egos,” which is plural. “Ego” is singular, and would be an “it.” Avoid using a pronoun until you’ve used the noun it would refer toTry to get more quickly to the idea you want to put forward. You might start with the ideas you presented last: Love and happiness are sacrificed for ego in both the novel and the play. Remember to put the titles and authors in as you did in your draft sentence.

4. aplanogamete says:

I think the thesis is very rough and should be reworded. Lose the last sentence. “The Great Gatsby” by F. Scott Fitzgerald and the play “Othello” by William Shakespeare share similar themes of appearances versus reality, the carelessness that often accompanies wealth and stature, and how one’s focus on self-importance can lead to ultimate downfall.”That would be my start.

5. enticeful says:

A thesis usually has at least three points to it. Also instead of “it” say “Their egos”. The three points is so that later in the essay you can have one paragraph for each point.

6. unroots says:

This needs to be more concise. You should be able to make your statement in 1 sentence and two only if really necessary. Also, try not to use the passive voice (the verb to be, basically). Action verbs work better in an essay. So, instead of saying they ‘are selfish’, say something like ‘Gatsby’s and Othello’s ego’s exemplify their selfishness, as they broke hearts and caused deaths amongst their loved ones (just an example, still not perfect). Keep working at it and you’ll hit the mark.BTW, I hated the Great Gatsby, and i had to write a several similar essays about it, so I’m sorry you’re going through it right now. Good Luck!

7. mephitic says:

It’s a good thesis, but you only need the first sentence. You don’t need the second sentence as part of the thesis. Instead, use it for an example in the essay.