What would be your favourite Book by George Orwell, and why?

I have read all of his Books, plus his Essays, so please do not assume that all I know are "1984" or "Animal Farm". Mine would be "Coming up for Air".Yours please in hope.

• Help on my animal farm essay? - In animal farm I am supposed to write an essay about how hope and vision must be kept alive or we might live like the animals in Animal Farm. Or the other choice is how language is a powerful tool and if used improperly it can enslave and confuse. Any ideas for what to write
  • Animal Farm Question? - For my Language Arts class I need to write a five-paragraph essay between Animal Farm the movie and the original book. My plan is due really soon and no matter what I Google I can’t seem to find the answer to my question. Thanks. In the movie Animal Farm, they change Mollie’s name into Nell.
  • People have read the book ANIMAL FARM by George Orwell? - Okay so i have to write this essay and its about the book Animal Farm. The question i need to answer is–”Do you think it might have been possible for the animal’s socialist ideal to succeed and not turn into the oligarchy of communism?” *Oh and before you start saying “Do your own homework” or
  • Can you please correct my essay for me? - Hi so i have to a essay to do on animal farm but can you please correct it if you can. Thank you.And the topic is….George Orwell’s other famous book is 1984, which details the life of Winston Smith, a government employee whose job it is to revise documents that paint the leadership in a
  • HELP: I need a title for an essay!? - The essay i wrote is based on the book “Animal Farm”. My essay is basically about greedy and ignorant pigs who are the leaders of the farm and only think about themselves. They control and lie to the other animals.So any ideas for a title?
  • What is another word to use instead of ‘farm animals’? - Hi im writing an essay on animal farm and i have used the phrases ‘farm animals’ and ‘other animals’ in just about every sentence is there any other phrases i could use instead thanks x
  • “The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy ” : Can you convince me whether I should or should not …..? - …. read this novel series ?If you have read this novel series, what are your thoughts on it? Do you have a special preference for any one of the 5 books? Which did you find best?To give you an idea,I’m 48, female; not much into fantasy but enjoy humor, science, fiction & nonfiction, &

7 Answers to “What would be your favourite Book by George Orwell, and why?”

1. Libra says:

I have only read two “Animal Farm” and “1984″ both of which are excellent. If you recommend “Coming Up For Air” then I may give that one a read as well. Thanks for the suggestion because I love to read.

2. deink says:

Coming Up For Air is excellent, my favorites are Nineteen Eighty-Four and Homage to Catalonia… 1984 because it blows my mind that it was written in 1949 yet so much of it applies today, I read it for the first time in high school and it blew my mind then, rereading it still does. Winston is my all time favorite anti-hero, I relate to him every time I read the book. Homage to Catalonia just speaks to my heart…fighting with the marxists against fascism, what else would be closer? I read anything I can get my hands on about the Spanish Civil War, particularily when it’s a first hand account, and what an amazing story he had! Truly one of my all time favorite authors, this is a great question!(((AtS))))

3. zampino says:

my fave is ‘Down and Out In Paris and London’… a friend lent it to me as one of their favourite books and used to rave about it. i read it and loved it, especially the first part in Paris… vivid portrayal of poverty… life at the bottom of the barrel… very eye opening!a close second is ‘Homage to Catalonia’… a fascinating insight into an aspect of the darkest time in Spain’s recent history… made all the more interesting for me as i live in Spain and there are still echoes of this horrendous time everywhere you look.

4. chylophylly says:

1984 because ‘ve been there, ‘ve done that. I lived my first 18 years under a communist regime in one of the countries behind the “iron curtain”.

5. aumoine says:

The only stuff I’ve read are just 1984 and Animal Farm hahaha, those are the only ones I could get my hands on – that’s all that’s available at my local library by him unfortunatelyso it’s 1984 for me , I couldn’t stopped reading it and no other book kept me this hooked . I like it , possibly because I’m sort of fascinated by life in totalitarian regimes , especially the Nazi regime so 1984 was pretty much right up my alley. I know 1984 isn’t about the Nazi regime , but I find being trapped in a society were one person or a group of persons control everything , including the mind , terribly intriguing.I also liked the romance going on between Winston and Julia.That touch of romance in a state where the complete freedom of an individual and freedom of thought are basically controlled ALMOST completely (not totally controlled as Winston could still write his real thoughts in his journal) and aren’t even legal made the book even more perfect for me even though I’m not a sucker for love/romance in books. Love could still exist even in a disgusting , all-controlling state.so I guess that’s why I liked it so much

6. flightful says:

I personally liked “Homage To Catalonia” the most as it’s a fascinating account of his experiences in the Spanish Civil War and shows how nasty political differences can get, although “Coming up for Air” is also a great book.People suck up to “1984″ and “Animal Farm” in my opinion.

7. revelers says:

My favourite is Keep The Aspidistra Flying. I first read it when I was in my early teens, and it made a huge impression on me.