What are some good books that are considered literature?

like from authors like:jane austen, emily and charlotte bronte, charles dickens, mark twain etc.i need to read one for my advanced english class, im a sophemore, so let me know some of your favorites and a little bit about what they're about!

• Which classic novel is the best? - Jane Austen: Emma, Mansfield ParkCharlotte Bronte: VIllette, ShirleyCharles Dickens: Great Expectations, A Tale of Two CitiesWhich one of these novels would be best for:- A 16 year old girl who loves adventure and romance novels- Someone who needs to write a lengthy essay on the themes present Please explain why. Easy best answer! Thanks
  • Charles Dickens Books? NEED HELP!? - My professor keeps bugging me about reading a Charles Dickens book, because I for one never picked one up since I was sixteen. AND I can’t remember the name of the book, or what it was about since I never really cared for his writing. We’re entering Dickens era in class, so everyone is required
  • Jane eyre essay help please? - one of the sub questions for my essay is this: how does the experience in the red room define jane as a character? (using quotes as evidence)any ideas?anything will help. the main essay question is “how does charlotte bronte convey the intensity of jane’s experience in the red room?thank you
  • Huckleberry Finn…antithesis help? - I need to write an essay about Mark Twain being the best American author, and antithesis about how Huck Finn classfied Mark Twain NOT being a good author. I have the race stuff, but any more ideas?
  • College essay: Using humor, wit, or irony to allude to more serious matters.? - So, I’m outlining and acquiring evidence for a college essay of mine, which reads:”Humor, wit, and irony are often part of what are mostly serious matters. Choose a public figure, a fictional character, a novel, film, television show, or a piece of music, etc., and talk about the use of humor as a way to
  • What are some websites to find social customs through Jane Austen’s time? - I need help on a english essay. I dont know where to find information on the social customs of Jane Austen’s time that she is mocking
  • Can you help me find this Mark Twain essay? - There’s an essay I read in high school that I’ve been unable to find. I’m pretty sure it was by Mark Twain. In the essay, the author is traveling down a river. Everything has grown technical to him – where once he saw beautiful ripples by the water’s edge, he now notices the ripples and

7 Answers to “What are some good books that are considered literature?”

1. uneradicated says:

well these are all the college board reccomended books (which are mainly classics) and you can read their summaries at like books.com. i hope i helped! =D101 Great BooksAuthor Title — Beowulf Achebe, Chinua Things Fall Apart Agee, James A Death in the Family Austen, Jane Pride and Prejudice Baldwin, James Go Tell It on the Mountain Beckett, Samuel Waiting for Godot Bellow, Saul The Adventures of Augie March Brontë, Charlotte Jane Eyre Brontë, Emily Wuthering Heights Camus, Albert The Stranger Cather, Willa Death Comes for the Archbishop Chaucer, Geoffrey The Canterbury Tales Chekhov, Anton The Cherry Orchard Chopin, Kate The Awakening Conrad, Joseph Heart of Darkness Cooper, James Fenimore The Last of the Mohicans Crane, Stephen The Red Badge of Courage Dante Inferno de Cervantes, Miguel Don Quixote Defoe, Daniel Robinson Crusoe Dickens, Charles A Tale of Two Cities Dostoyevsky, Fyodor Crime and Punishment Douglass, Frederick Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass Dreiser, Theodore An American Tragedy Dumas, Alexandre The Three Musketeers Eliot, George The Mill on the Floss Ellison, Ralph Invisible Man Emerson, Ralph Waldo Selected Essays Faulkner, William As I Lay Dying Faulkner, William The Sound and the Fury Fielding, Henry Tom Jones Fitzgerald, F. Scott The Great Gatsby Flaubert, Gustave Madame Bovary Ford, Ford Madox The Good Soldier Goethe, Johann Wolfgang von Faust Golding, William Lord of the Flies Hardy, Thomas Tess of the d’Urbervilles Hawthorne, Nathaniel The Scarlet Letter Heller, Joseph Catch 22 Hemingway, Ernest A Farewell to Arms Homer The Iliad Homer The Odyssey Hugo, Victor The Hunchback of Notre Dame Hurston, Zora Neale Their Eyes Were Watching God Huxley, Aldous Brave New World Ibsen, Henrik A Doll’s House James, Henry The Portrait of a Lady James, Henry The Turn of the Screw Joyce, James A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man Kafka, Franz The Metamorphosis Kingston, Maxine Hong The Woman Warrior Lee, Harper To Kill a Mockingbird Lewis, Sinclair Babbitt London, Jack The Call of the Wild Mann, Thomas The Magic Mountain Marquez, Gabriel García One Hundred Years of Solitude Melville, Herman Bartleby the Scrivener Melville, Herman Moby Dick Miller, Arthur The Crucible Morrison, Toni Beloved O’Connor, Flannery A Good Man is Hard to Find O’Neill, Eugene Long Day’s Journey into Night Orwell, George Animal Farm Pasternak, Boris Doctor Zhivago Plath, Sylvia The Bell Jar Poe, Edgar Allan Selected Tales Proust, Marcel Swann’s Way Pynchon, Thomas The Crying of Lot 49 Remarque, Erich Maria All Quiet on the Western Front Rostand, Edmond Cyrano de Bergerac Roth, Henry Call It Sleep Salinger, J.D. The Catcher in the Rye Shakespeare, William Hamlet Shakespeare, William Macbeth Shakespeare, William A Midsummer Night’s Dream Shakespeare, William Romeo and Juliet Shaw, George Bernard Pygmalion Shelley, Mary Frankenstein Silko, Leslie Marmon Ceremony Solzhenitsyn, Alexander One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich Sophocles Antigone Sophocles Oedipus Rex Steinbeck, John The Grapes of Wrath Stevenson, Robert Louis Treasure Island Stowe, Harriet Beecher Uncle Tom’s Cabin Swift, Jonathan Gulliver’s Travels Thackeray, William Vanity Fair Thoreau, Henry David Walden Tolstoy, Leo War and Peace Turgenev, Ivan Fathers and Sons Twain, Mark The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn Voltaire Candide Vonnegut, Kurt Jr. Slaughterhouse-Five Walker, Alice The Color Purple Wharton, Edith The House of Mirth Welty, Eudora Collected Stories Whitman, Walt Leaves of Grass Wilde, Oscar The Picture of Dorian Gray Williams, Tennessee The Glass Menagerie Woolf, Virginia To the Lighthouse Wright, Richard Native Son

2. carli says:

Pride and Prejudice, Wuthering Heights, Jane Ayre, A Christmas Carol, and Emma are some good examples…

3. thoughten says:

The Tenant of Wildfell Hall by Anne Bronte is excellent.It is about a woman who leaves her husband and falls in love with another man. Written in 1848 it is very insightful and deals with alcoholism and abuse. Very good read.Agnes Grey by Anne Bronte is also good dealing with the life of a governess in Victorian England.The Mayor of Casterbridge by Thomas Hardy is also worth a read. About a man who gets drunk and sells his wife and child. Years later the wife finds him and there are all sorts of twists and turns to the story.I’d also recommend Middlemarch and Vanity Fair but they are large books and might be a little overwhelming.

4. vallecular says:

The Inheritance by AlcottA young orphan girl who was raised by a rich family discovers her true roots. Little Women by AlcottFour sisters grow up in New England while their father is at war. A Christmas Carol by Dickens. A bitter, selfish old man is visited my ghosts who try to prevent him from spending eternity in hell and help him learn to love his fellow man again.A Girl of the Limberlost by PorterA young girl must deal with her emotionally abusive mother and the absense of her father. She loves the Limberlost, a swampy forest area near her home in Indiana. I adored this book at your age.To Kill a Mockingbird by LeeA man is falsely accused of raping a girl.

5. fistic says:

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee is my favorite classic – it’s narrated by a woman looking back on her life as a young girl. Scout Finch tells her story of growing up in Alabama in the 1930′s. The novel deals with such topics as racism/social prejudice, growing up, good vs. evil, … all sorts of issues. Seriously, you have to read this book if you haven’t already. =)Also recommended – East of Eden by John Steinbeck. It’s a bit long, and starts out a bit slowly, but progresses into a terrific story. It tells of the lives of several generations of two families in the Salinas Valley in California. It’s got many parallels to the early Bible stories (Genesis, etc.).Another classic I’ve liked is Catcher in the Rye. It’s basically the typical teenage angst novel, and most teens can easily relate to the narrator, Holden. It’s a quick read – I read the whole thing in about 2 hours. Try looking up the summaries/reviews of these books on amazon.com… my descriptions couldn’t do them justice! =)

6. campana says:

If you’d like something short, Ernest Hemmingway’s “The Old Man and the Sea” is really good. The story line is about an old Cuban fisherman going out in his little boat — but one day, after 80 days without a bite — he finally catches this HUGE fish! It’s so big that it drags him in his boat across the Gulf. He finally lands the fish, ties it to the boat and begins to row home. I won’t spoil the story for you — it’s really good. There are good themes of heroism, manhood, pride and success.The thing you need to pay attention to is the symbolism. Your teacher will absolutely ask you about this! The old man is a symbol for humanity. The fish is a symbol for religion.I hope you find something interesting to read for school. I also like Mark Twain: Huck Finn is good, if your teacher will allow more current books, Jack London’s “Call of the Wild” is terrific.Good luck!

7. rescreening says:

I don’t know if it qualifies, but The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas is one of my favorite classics. It’s the story of Edmond Dantes, a young sailor in France who is thrown into prison for a crime he didn’t commit – framed by jealous friends who are helped by others who have motivations like greed. After 20 years, he finally escapes and plots his revenge. It’s a really good read, and has been one of my favorites for years.A few other possibilities:The Scarlet Pimpernel by Baroness Orczy – this is the basis for stories like Zorro and Batman. It’s set during the French Revolution, and Sir Percy Blakeney is a fashion-obsessed, vain, empty-headed English aristocrat. He’s also secretly the leader of a group that’s smuggling French aristocrats across the Channel and saving them from the guillotine. Unfortunately for him his wife is French, and when her brother is captured she is blackmailed into trying to find out the Pimpernel’s secret identity. When she does she has to choose between her husband and her brother.The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde – A Gothic horror story. Dorian Gray is a young aristocrat who is interested only in beauty, and wishes he would never age. His wish is granted – while he remains physically young and beautiful, his evil soul is reflected in a painting of him.Dracula by Bram Stoker – I don’t think I have to tell you what it’s about, but it’s a great book and considered classic literature by mant.